Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Word on History

Well, thus far I have spoken of what the shinobi are and are not, but I have gone little into our history.

It is hard to pin down a particular place and time of where and when we emerged, but we know it was in Japan, during a time of oppression.
The way of the shinobi was created for the shinobi to protect themselves.  Using sickles, staffs, and other common items that would not be incriminating as weapons, and of course, lots of training in martial arts, strategy, concealment, and fortification.  The shinobi were flexible, using whatever they could.  They did not, as commonly believed, go around in black outfits with only their eyes showing.  During daylight hours, they dressed to blend in.  During night hours, their outfits were dark blue rather than black.

They fought for peace, when they were oppressed, rather than for money and fame.  At times they would go on missions, when it was necessary and beneficial to their community as a whole, but they didn't operate for self gain.
There were three main influences in the ninjutsu.
Shinto - Which focused around the way of the kami.  Kami means god or deity, but they believed more in a sort of force rather than a being.  Of course, I do not hold those beliefs, instead I substitute my own spiritual beliefs.  I did say these were "influences" only, remember?

Mikkyo - Which focused on enhancing personal power with secret words and symbols to focus energy and intents on the goal.  This I do not incorporate into my shinobi beliefs, but I wish to show the shinobi roots here, and so that is what I am doing.
Shugenja - Focused on self discovery by exposing themselves to harsh weather and circumstances to alleviate fear and become closer to nature.  Self discovery is a good thing, though I do not agree fully with this method.  Exposing ones self to some fears to become less fearful of them can be a good thing, however.  If one is afraid of the dark, they can expose themselves to it in small areas at first, gradually growing as they learn the dark is not something to fear.  Getting over fears is beneficial to both ones mental and physical health.

When you look at these three influences, you can see where ninjutsu got some of its traits:
- Close to nature, being able to adapt to it easily and respecting it.  By respecting it I am not saying it should be worshiped, but it should be treated well.  I am not a "tree hugger", but I do not believe in the necessity of destroying fields of perfectly good grass or beautifully made forests simply to add a new fast food restaurant, shop, gas station, or subdivision when there is one just down the road.  When it is necessary, it is necessary, when it isn't, it should not be done.

- Very spiritual.  In different ways than I am, but it is still there.  I am close to the true God, and I incorporate that into my lifestyle.  It is important to have something true to believe in.

The Japanese word for ninja, translated "nin" or "shinobi", has meanings that include "perseverance" and "endurance".  They don't give up when it gets hard, thus, ninjutsu does not happen within a short period of time.  It happens over years, through the course of a lifetime.

There you are.  A brief history lesson on the shinobi.
In the shadow of the Greatest Shinobi
~MDS

No comments:

Post a Comment