Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Japanese Alphabet

Four alphabets.  Three main ones, then one that is called romaji, which is Japanese written in English letters.  Like what I used in my last post about Japanese.  "Ichi, ni, san..." That is romaji.

But that isn't what they use usually in Japan.
No, the three they use are Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji.

Hiragana is the main alphabet, the one used for Japanese words.

Katakana, which is used for foreign words, such as foreign names and words borrowed from other languages.

And Kanji, which consists of Chinese characters.

In Japanese, there are five vowels- A, E, I, O, and U- Then all the rest of the letters end in one of these vowels, which a couple exceptions. Examples are: "Ka", "Shi", "Tsu", "Ne", and "Ho".

One can find many lists of Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji letters through Google, so if you are interested in learning, there you are.  I am using flash cards to get mine down.  I  keep them by my bed and practice them whenever I see them, trace them with my finger to get the shape down, and write them on various things.  Slowly, but surely, the letters will become embedded.

In the shadow of the Greatest Shinobi
~MDS

No comments:

Post a Comment