Saturday, January 22, 2011

Of Work, Snow, and Friendships

Work and snow, snow and work... They don't go very well together, do they?  I don't find that they do here anyways...

But during these days of snow, I wondered, how do you work?
Are you one of the people who call in sick when you are perfectly well?
Perhaps one who slacks off, not really caring what gets done as long as you get paid?
A hard worker, but abrasive to your coworkers?
A hard worker when your boss is around?
Do you get the job done, but with a bitter spirit?
I then asked myself, how should a shinobi go about their jobs?  Well, the answer isn't much different than how anyone else should go about their job...
There are many workers now, who have jobs, but don't work.  They have jobs, but they are not grateful for them.
From the very first opportunity, we should begin cultivating a good reputation.  Do all your tasks thoroughly, quickly, and with a cheerful spirit.  Think of who will be influenced by what you are doing.  Do you clean?  Think of the people who will enjoy having a clean space to be in.  Do you cook?  Think of how someone will enjoy the food you make.  Do you teach?  Think of how someday, your students will be able to perform a skill because of you.  Whatever you do, think how it will be enjoyed by another person.

Some have jobs, but they do not take advantage of being able to connect with others in it.
You may say, well, shinobi are supposed to be dark and mysterious, why should they move in social circles?
Whoever said shinobi didn't have friends?  No, friends are quite important.  I'm not saying you should have a hundred mediocre friendships, where you simply call each other friends, but hardly ever talk or know each other.  But one should have a close knit circle of friends that they can trust.
I've found that in my mind, I break down friendship into three levels.
Friendly acquaintances- People who I don't know terribly well, but I wouldn't call them strangers and I wouldn't call them enemies.
Friends- People who I know fairly well, who I wouldn't mind confiding some medium important things in.
Good friends- People who I know well, who I can confide just about everything in.  People who I would choose to be with me if I were stranded on an island (not that I foresee that happening anytime soon...).
Everyone needs some from each of these categories... and I also think that the number of people in each category would decrease as the friends get closer.  You are not going to have as many "Good friends" as you have "Friendly acquaintances".
And so, in your workplace, the people you work around should be able to fall into one of these categories.  Now I know, some people will not want your friendship, but still be friendly toward them.  Set an example for them to follow, both in attitude and action.
And throw a snowball at them to get them to loosen up.
Just joking!  Don't throw snowballs at people that are already annoyed with you.  It doesn't tend to improve their temper...

Until next time...
In the shadow of the Greatest Shinobi
~MDS

No comments:

Post a Comment